Men have traditionally kept their skincare routines simple, but with more men now looking to maintain healthy, youthful-looking skin, it’s important to evaluate their routine and understand how to care for their skin. While there are differences between men’s and women’s skin, such as the thickness of the skin, the basic principles of an effective skincare routine remain the same. In this blog post, we’ll share some skincare tips for men.
To start, it’s important for everyone, including men, to identify their skin type and understand its characteristics. Sensitive skin may experience stinging or burning after product use, while normal skin is clear and not sensitive. Dry skin may be flaky, itchy or rough, and oily skin is shiny and greasy. Combination skin can be dry in some areas and oily in others. Knowing your skin type is crucial in selecting the right products for your skincare routine.
Here are some skincare tips for men
- Check product labels and ingredients. Choose skincare products that are appropriate for your skin type. If you have acne-prone skin, look for products labelled “oil-free” or “non-comedogenic” to avoid clogging pores. For those with sensitive skin, opt for mild, fragrance-free products as fragrances can cause skin irritation and dryness. Be cautious of products labelled “unscented”. They may contain masking fragrances that can still cause skin irritation. Find out more about understanding product labels here.
- Wash your face daily and after exercise. Use a mild facial cleanser and lukewarm water instead of regular bar soap, which may contain harsh ingredients that can dry out the skin.
- Pay attention to your shaving technique. For men who experience razor bumps, razor burns or ingrown hairs, a single- or double-blade razor is a better option than multi-blade razors, which can shave too closely to the skin. Wet your skin and hair before shaving, use moisturising shaving cream, and shave with the direction of hair growth. Rinse the razor after each swipe and change the blade after five to seven shaves to minimise irritation.
- Moisturise daily. Moisturisers work by trapping water in the skin, reducing the appearance of fine lines and making the skin look brighter and younger. Apply moisturiser to the face and body immediately after bathing, showering or shaving while the skin is still damp for the best results.
- Check your skin regularly. New spots or moles that itch, bleed or change colour may be early warning signs of skin cancer. If you notice any suspicious spots, make an appointment with a dermatologist. Men over age 50 have a higher risk of developing melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, than the general population. Early detection is key in treating skin cancer.
- Wear sunscreen. To prevent sun damage that can lead to wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer, apply sunscreen to all exposed areas of skin, including the scalp, ears, neck and lips. Use a broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and reapply every two hours or immediately after swimming or sweating. Seek shade and wear sun-protective clothing, such as lightweight, long-sleeved shirts, wide-brimmed hats and sunglasses with UV protection, when possible, for more effective sun protection.
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and healthy. Dehydration can make your skin look dull and tired. Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water a day.
- Check your diet. If you’re struggling with skin problems, you may be surprised to learn that your diet could be a significant factor. What we eat can impact our skin health, and certain nutrients can help to promote healthy skin.
- Get enough sleep. A good night’s sleep is crucial for healthy-looking skin. Lack of sleep can cause dark circles, puffy eyes, and dull skin. Aim to get at least 7 hours of sleep to help your skin look its best.
A good skincare routine is essential for men to achieve healthy skin. Follow these tips and use products that are formulated for men’s skin to achieve the best results. Remember to stay consistent with your skincare routine, and don’t be afraid to experiment with different products to find what works best for you. We hope you’ve found these skincare tips for men useful!